The Southern Africa Society for Disaster Reduction herewith invites and welcomes academics, researchers, postgraduate students and disaster practitioners to the 4th Biennial Conference of the Southern Africa Society for Disaster Reduction. The conference is hosted by the African Centre for Disaster Studies (North-West University) in partnership with the Durban University of Technology and will take place from 17-19 October 2018 at Coastlands Umhlanga Hotel & Convention Centre.
Time left until Early Bird registration closes:
STOP disaster risk creation in SADC
- Urban risk and development
- Climate smart agriculture
- Eco-system based DRR
- Socio-ecological resilience
- Trans-boundary disaster risk management
- Natural resource management and DRR
- Hazard and risk governance
- Intergovernmental relations
- Environmental management
- Community resilience
- Public health and education
- Risk creation as trans-disciplinary issue
- Media and communication in DRR
Aim of the Conference
Provide a platform for the presentation, discussion and debating of different approaches to disaster risk reduction in the face of climate change.
Abstracts can be submitted online by clicking here before the 15th of June 2018 and should contain the following information:
- Rationale of the Research
- Method of Investigation
- Main Findings
- Conclusions and Recommendation
Abstracts should be limited to 350 words. Successful author(s) will be required to register and attend the conference. All papers will be double blind peer reviewed by selected international experts. Successful papers may be published in a special edition of JÀMBÁ: Journal of Disaster Risk Studies.
- 15 June – Deadline for Submissions of Abstracts
- 29 June – Notifications Of Acceptance of Abstracts
- 15 July – Final Date for Early Bird Registration
- 14 September – Final Date for Registration
- 28 September – Final date for submission of first draft of paper
- 17-19 October – Conference
Cost Of Conference US($)
Note that participants from all regions around the world are welcome to present and/or attend the conference. Conference fee excludes accommodation, travel and visa; this is each delegate’s own responsibility.
Please note that all travel expenses and visa application are the responsibility of each participant.