The Institute Of Development Studies at the National University of Science Of Technology herewith invites and welcomes academics, researchers, postgraduate students and disaster practitioners to the 3rd Biennial Conference of the Southern Africa Society for Disaster Reduction. The conference will take place from 12-14 October 2016 at Elephant Hills Hotel in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. Click here to download the original poster.
Positioning Southern Africa for Disaster Risk Reduction in the Face of Climate Change
- Climate Change and El Nino
- Natural Resource Management in Disaster Reduction
- Risk Investment and Partnerships for Sustainable Disaster Risk Management
- Gender and Disasters
- Community Participation and Indigenous Knowledge Systems
- Disaster Education, Training and Awareness
- Humanitarian Action: Realities of the Changing Landscape in Africa
- Urban Risk and Development
- Policy, Legislation and Disaster Risk Reduction
- Disaster Risk Communication
- Emergency Response
Delegates for the 2016 conference in Zimbabwe, held at the magnificent Elephant Hills Resort.
Aim of the Conference
Provide a platform for the presentation, discussion and debating of different approaches to disaster risk reduction in the face of climate change.
Abstracts can be submitted online by clicking here before the 31st of May 2016 and should contain the following information:
- Rationale of the Research
- Method of Investigation
- Main Findings
- Conclusions and Recommendation
Abstracts should be limited to 350 words. Successful author(s) will be required to register and attend the conference. All papers will be double blind peer reviewed by selected international experts. Successful papers will be published in a special edition of the JAMBA Journal Of Disaster Risk Studies.
- 31 May – Deadline for Submissions of Abstracts
- 15 June – Notifications Of Acceptance of Abstracts
- 31 August – Final Date for Early Bird Registration
- 31 August – Revised/corrected abstract submission
- 15 September – Final Date for Registration
- 30 September – Final date for submission of first draft of paper
- 12-14 October – Conference
- 30 November – Final date of submission of final paper to Jàmbá for publication in 3rd quarter 2017
Cost Of Conference US($)
Note that participants from all regions around the world are welcome to present and/or attend the conference. Please not all prices exclude accommodation.
- Day 1 Only
- Registration, Confrence Material, Cocktail Function) – US$ 175
- Accompanying Partner – Add US$ 33
- Day 2 Only
- Registration, Conference Material, Gala Dinner – US$ 175
- Accompanying Partner – Add US$ 40
- Day 3 Only
- Registration, Conference Material – US$ 150
- Day 4
- Field Excursion
- Cost to be Advised
Please note that all travel expenses and visa application are the responsibility of each participant.