A description of all events hosted or related to ACDS and our course material
To bring together municipal councilors & local governance officials (senior & municipal managers) in an interactive learning environment, to share and explore issues of disaster risk reduction, development and climate change adaptation at municipality level. In addition, to integrate the above with planning, decision-making, problem solving and leadership in disaster risk reduction. The symposium will cover key management issues necessary for effective local governance in disaster risk reduction. This course is primarily aimed at municipal councilors at the local level (metro, district & local), however, senior managers & municipal managers will also greatly benefit. (Note: This course is not suited for middle to lower level managers).
Innovative and Interactive Problem-Based Learning (PBL) All sessions are built around the experiences, knowledge and skills of the participants. World-class facilitators will use problem based learning (PBL) to extend knowledge and transfer skills.
- Understand and be able to apply the dynamic concepts of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation to the municipal context;
- Be able to ensure the correct implementation of policies and legislation pertaining to disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation and the environment;
- Ensure correct decision-making and leadership on issues of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation;
- Oversee and monitor disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation activities in the municipality;
- Facilitate community participation and enhance understanding of development processes in the municipality;
- Communicate effectively and efficiently;
- Strengthen public participation to assist in decision making processes affecting the community
- Understand and define their role in disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation;
- Be empowered to ensure effective decision-making;
- Provide enhanced leadership to the municipality;
- Ensure safer communities through better development decisions;
- Enhance service delivery particularly in disaster risk response/recovery;
- Improve the communication gap between the politicians (councillors) and the community in terms of disaster risk reduction;
- Increase leadership skills in disaster risk reduction related service delivery;
- Capacitate councillors with necessary knowledge to address backlog of services in DRR;
- Apply act, policies and legislation of disaster risk management in the local municipality.
- Introduction to disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation.
- Role of the councillor in disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation.
- Legislative and policy imperatives in disaster risk management
- Disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation policy and decision-making
- Monitoring and oversight at local government level
- Political dynamics, forecasting and policy formulation
- Leadership in disaster risk reduction and local governance
- Community profiling and disaster risk assessment plans
Total cost: R3 000.00 (includes compulsory modules and two electives).
Additional cost per module: R700.00
Full cost is therefore determined by the amount of modules taken by the participant (see attached schedule which will aid in decision making).
4-8 July 2016
24-28 November 2016
North-West University: Potchefstroom Campus GPS Coordinates: 26°42’54”S 27°06’12”E
Register online or Phone: +27 (0)18 299 1620/4 Fax details to: +27 (0)87 231 5590
- Mr. Bradley Shoroma (email@example.com)
- Ms. Kristel Fourie (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mr. Livhuwani Nemakonde (Livhuwani.Nemakonde@acds.co.za)
- Tel: +27 (0)18 299 1620/4